This side dish hails from Andalusia, Spain, where it is called espinacas con garbanzos. Serve portions of it alongside the entree of your choice, or on toast, tapas-style - with a glass of sherry of course.
Heat a teaspoon and a half of olive oil in a Dutch oven. Add 3/4 cup chopped onion, and cook for 2 minutes. Add a dash of crushed red pepper and 2 minced garlic cloves; cook another minute. Add 1/4 tsp. cumin and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
Now add 3/4 cup water, 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs (use regular breadcrumbs or the slightly larger Japanese panko), one tablespoon dry sherry (as always, unfiltered if you want to be sure it is vegan), one (15-ounce) can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained, and 1/8 tsp. crushed saffron threads. Cook for two minutes until the mixture thickens slightly, stirring often.
Add half of a 10-ounce package of fresh spinach. Cook for two minutes until the spinach wilts. Repeat with the remaining half of the package.
Remove from heat and stir in a teaspoon and a half of parsley, teaspoon and a half of lemon juice, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. 2/3 of a cup is 150 calories.
fresh spinach $2.49
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html