If you made my Pennette with Asparagus and Pine Nuts recipe from the other night, you probably have leftover pasta up in the cupboard - here's an equally easy recipe that also serves two. As with the last, try to find pennette (which is just mini penne), but if you can't, regular sized penne works fine.
Cook 4-ounces of the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
While the pasta cooks, place 2 tablespoons raisins in a bowl. Cover with hot water and let stand for ten minutes. Drain and set aside.
Heat 2 and 1/4 tsps. olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-heat. Add one cup coarsley chopped beet greens and 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic. Cook for three minutes. Stir in the pasta, the raisins, 3 tablespoons slivered almonds, 1/4 tsp. salt and a dash of black pepper.
One cup is 350 calories.
Note: when buying beet greens, you'll probably have to purchase them attached to the beets themselves! Trim off the greens, rinse well, and chop for this recipe. Use the beets separately anyway you like - try roasting them and serving with a salad alongside this pasta.
beet greens (and beets!) $2.49
slivered almonds $4.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html