This dish makes a filling dinner for two, and features flavors of the Middle East in the spices and the dates.
Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan over low heat. Add 1/4 tsp. ground cumin, 1/4 tsp. ground paprika, and 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon. Cook for one minute until fragrant. Increase the heat to medium-high and add one and half cups vegetable broth, one cup uncooked orzo, 1/2 cup orange juice (make your own fresh-squeezed or use an all-natural oj like Simply Orange), and 2 minced garlic cloves. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes (the liquid will be nearly absorbed).
Add 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates, 1/4 cup chopped green onion, 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Cook for two minutes, uncovered, then remove from heat. Cover and let stand five minutes until the liquid is completely absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
Stir in 1/4 cup chopped carrot, 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
One and a half cups is 560 calories. Voila! dinner for two.
orange juice $1.99
green onion $0.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html