This pasta dish is a quick weeknight dinner for two. Pennette is simply miniature penne - if you can't find it, (as I couldn't), just substitute regular penne. I used the whole wheat variety from Gia Russa.
Cook 4 ounces of pasta according to package directions. Drain and place in a large bowl.
While the pasta cooks, heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add a teaspoon of bottled minced garlic and a dash of crushed red pepper; cook for two minutes, stirring constantly.
Add one and a half cups asparagus (cut into one-inch slices - about 1/2 a pound), 1/4 cup vegetable broth, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Cook for five minutes until the asparagus is tender.
Stir in 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomato halves (buy the kind packed in oil), and 1/4 tsp. salt; cook for another minute.
Add the asparagus mixture to the pasta. Stir in 1/4 cup shredded vegan cheese (try the vegan mozzarella block from Galaxy Foods instead of the Asiago in the original recipe), and 1 tablespoon pine nuts.
One and a half cups is 370 calories. You'll have two servings.
penne pasta $3.49
vegetable broth $2.69
sun-dried tomatoes $3.99
vegan mozzarella $2.50
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html