These are probably the yummiest "French fries" ever. I'm sure you know as a vegan to be careful when ordering fries at a restaurant - more often than you think, they're cooked in animal fat. Make them at home, and you needn't worry about it. Although you can just roast potato slices with salt for normal French fries, this is a sweeter variation.
Peel 2 pounds of sweet potato (about 2 large). Cut in half crosswise, then cut into 1/2-inch thick wedges. Set aside.
Melt two tablespoons vegan butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed organic brown sugar, 2 tablespoons water, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, 1/8 tsp. ground ginger and one cinnamon stick. Let the mixture come to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently (it will be quite bubbly).
Discard the cinnamon stick, and then combine the sugar mixture and the potato wedges in a large bowl, tossing to coat - careful not to burn your fingers, as the sugar will be hot!
Spread the potato wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes, stirring halfway through.
2/3 a cup of sweet potatoes is 190 calories - you'll have about 6 servings. Serve alongside veggie burgers!
brown sugar $4.59
sweet potato $1.77
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html