This granola is delicious for breakfast in the morning with either soy milk or vanilla soy yogurt - or just eat it by the handful as a snack!
In a medium skillet, combine 1/3 cup organic brown sugar and 2 tablespoons apple cider over medium-high heat. Cook for about 2 minutes until the sugar dissolves, stirring frequently.
Add one cup regular oats, 1/3 cup chopped pistachios, 1/3 cup dried cherries, 1/3 cup cereal nuggets (the kind you're probably most familiar with are Grape Nuts, but I prefer the organic version by Kashi called 7 Whole Grain Nuggets), 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon and 1/8 tsp. salt.
Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Let cool completely. You can store this in the fridge for up to a week in an airtight container. 1/2 a cup is 240 calories.
Cost: (note: the cost is so high because I bought a lot of the items in bulk - almost every ingredient makes for a great snack to have on hand).
apple cider $4.99
cereal nuggets $6.78
dried cherries $6.99
sunflower seeds $1.50
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html