First, a word on dates, since I have a bunch at home to use in the next few days, and they also already featured in my recipe for Spiced Orzo Pilaf the other night. They've been a staple food for 5,000 years and grow on trees as tall as 100 feet, which can produce up to 100 pounds of fruit each year - wow!
Now with that bit of history, this spread is delicious in the mornings served on toasted English muffins, waffles, toast, or even with apple wedges.
Simply combine 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates, a teaspoon and a half of grated orange rind, one tablespoon orange juice, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, a dash of salt, and 2 ounces (about 1/4 cup) softened vegan cream cheese (such as Tofutti). Stir together, and chill at least 30 minutes before serving. It will store in the fridge covered for up to 2 weeks.
One tablespoon is 30 calories.
On an unrelated note, I have a moral question for vegans out there - what is an animal-loving, animal-rights activist vegan to do about a mouse infestation in an apartment? Discuss.
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html