This make-ahead appetizer is great for the holidays, including setting out as a nosh before the Thanksgiving meal. Over the next couple days I'll give you a few more vegan Thanksgiving ideas as well...
Place three peeled garlic cloves in a food processor or blender and process until chopped. Add 1/2 a cup chopped cilantro, 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice, a tablespoon and a half olive oil, 1/4 tsp. salt, one drained 15-ounce can of black beans and one undrained 15-ounce can of black beans (this helps thin out the spread). Process until smooth.
Serve this either with store-bought organic tortilla chips or make your own at home by baking corn tortillas in the oven. If you have any leftover spread, serve it on quesadillas or burritos.
1/4 cup is 70 calories, and this recipe makes about two and a half cups total. Cilantro sprigs make a pretty garnish.
canned black beans $3.58
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html