This recipe features two more foods now in season - Brussels sprouts and hazelnuts. Try this side dish any night during the fall, but keep it in mind for Thanksgiving too - meat-eaters shouldn't get to have all the fun on that day.
Coat a Dutch oven with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add 1/4 cup chopped vegan bacon (such as Smart Bacon - about 3 slices). Cook for 4 minutes until the 'bacon' is crisp; remove from pan and set aside.
Add 1/4 cup vegetable broth to the pan, and let it come to a simmer (which will happen quickly). Add 6 and 1/2 cups thinly sliced Brussels sprouts and cook 4 minutes until crisp-tender.
Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. black pepper. Sprinkle with the 'bacon' and one and a half tablespoons of chopped hazelnuts. This makes enough side servings for a small crowd - 6 servings of 2/3 cup. Double the recipe if you do decide to bring it to a Thanksgiving feast!
Brussels sprouts $7.92
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html