Here's another spread that goes great with either toasted baguette slices or pita wedges. You can make it up to three days in advance, but reheat it just before serving, either in a microwave for 1 to 2 minutes or in an oven-safe bowl at 350 for about 10 minutes, as it is best served warm.
To make it: cut a 2 pound butternut squash in half lengthwise. Trim the ends off a small sweet onion (such as Walla Walla or Vidalia), peel and quarter. Brush one and a half teaspoons of olive oil over the cut sides of the squash and the onions, as well as 4 unpeeled garlic cloves.
Place the squash, cut-sides down, on a baking pan, and arrange the onion and garlic around the squash. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Let cool slightly before peeling the squash and squeezing the garlic pulp out from its peel (I actually found it was easier to scoop out the squash pulp instead of peeling it). Place the squash, onion, and garlic pulp in a blender, and puree until smooth.
Add 2 tablespoons vegan sour cream (such as Toffuti), 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. nutmeg, 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper, and 1/8 tsp. black pepper. Puree again until combined.
As I mentioned above, serve this warm. 1/4 cup is 40 calories.
butternut squash $3.65
vidalia onion $0.75
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html