Roasting the veggies for this salsa in a skillet was a fun new method, and gives a nice smoky flavor to the final product! You can make the recipe ahead of time, but it's best if served within 2 days of cooking.
Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add 2 whole ripe tomatoes, 2 or 3 jalapeno peppers (depending how hot you want the salsa!) and 1 unpeeled garlic clove. Cook for 15 minutes, turning the veggies frequently - they should be starting to blacken by the end, and the tomato skins will have almost entirely slipped off.
Let cool slightly before peeling off any remaining tomato skin, then seed and chop the tomatoes. Remove the stems and seeds from the jalapenos, then finely chop. Peel and finely chop the garlic clove. Combine those three ingredients in a bowl with 1/3 cup finely chopped Vidalia onion, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice, and 1/4 tsp. salt.
1/4 cup of salsa is 20 calories. It's delicious with tortilla chips, or as a topping for vegan tacos!
jalapeno peppers $0.35
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html