This simple side dish would round out any picnic menu - the marinated onions are great on their own, or as a topping for veggie burgers and vegan hot dogs (such as Tofu Pups).
Thinly slice 3 cups sweet onion (such as Vidalia or Walla Walla) and 1 cup peeled English cucumber. Place in a large bowl.
In a saucepan, combine 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar, 1/3 cup raw sugar, 1/4 cup water, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 tsp. dried dill; bring to a boil, then continue to cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the onion and cucumbers, and toss to coat. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours, and up to overnight - I thought mine was perfectly marinated after 9 hours. 1/3 cup of the mixture is 60 calories.
sweet onions $2.38
English cucumber $2.49
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html