Apologies for the numerous desserts lately! As I mentioned, the fresh fruit in season has me really excited right now, and I'll return to less-sweet posts tomorrow.
This delicious dessert, however, is a fun twist on a classic peach melba, which was created for the opera singer Nellie Melba, and normally consists of pureed raspberry sauce over peaches. Instead, the peaches are pureed, and the raspberries are left whole!
To start, peel and coarsely chop 1 pound of ripe peaches. Combine the peaches in a blender with 1/4 cup peach nectar, 2 tablespoons raw sugar, and 2 teaspoons lemon juice; process until smooth.
Let the peach mixture stand at room temperature for 5 minutes, then spoon 1/4 cup of the mixture into each of 4 dessert or parfait glasses (champagne flutes work in a pinch!). Top each serving with 1/4 cup raspberry sorbet (such as Ciao Bella) and 2 tablespoons fresh raspberries. Repeat the layers in each glass with 1/4 cup more peach puree, 1/4 cup more raspberry sorbet, and 2 tablespoons more raspberries. Each dessert is 180 calories.
peach nectar $4.39
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html