Also spelled fasolakia, this is a classic Greek side dish that consists of braised green beans in a tomato sauce. It is traditionally served at room temperature, so make it a little bit ahead of time!
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup finely chopped onion and saute for 3 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped mint, 1/2 tsp. dried dill, and 1 minced garlic clove; saute for 4 minutes. I actually added a whole teaspoon of dried dill, so my fashoulakia was extra dill-y. (Note: you could also use fresh dill, if you prefer, in which case use 1 and 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped).
Trim the ends off 1 pound of green beans, and add to the pot, along with 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. black pepper, and 1 undrained (14-ounce) can of stewed tomatoes (such as Muir Glen); bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
You'll have 4 side servings of 1 cup and 110 calories each - but this recipe doubles easily to serve a larger crowd!
green beans $1.91
canned stewed tomatoes $1.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html