These creamy grits are a lightened variation of the southern staple. Serve as a side dish with the vegan protein of your choice.
Bring 4 cups of water and 1/2 tsp. salt to a boil. Gradually stir in 1 cup uncooked grits, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes, but remove the lid to stir at frequent intervals - the grits should be thick by the end.
Stir in 1 cup shredded vegan cheddar (such as Galaxy Foods) and 1 tablespoon vegan butter (such as Earth Balance); stir until the 'cheese' and 'butter' have melted.
In a bowl, make the equivalent of 2 eggs using egg replacer (such as Ener-G). Add 3/4 cup plain soy milk (such as Silk), 2 teaspoons garlic powder, and 1/2 tsp. hot sauce - I like the certified vegan Hot Stuff from the Wizard.
Add the soy milk mixture to the grits, and stir until combined. Pour into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray, then bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Sprinkle an additional 1/2 cup of shredded vegan cheddar over the top and bake an additional 15 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before dividing into 8 side servings of 3/4 cup and 170 calories each.
vegan cheddar $3.39
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html