This yummy fruit dessert is a snap to prepare. Make the melon into cubes or balls, depending on which you prefer! You can use all cantaloupe or all honeydew melon, but I preferred a mixture of the two for the lovely color combination.
In a large bowl, combine 1/3 cup brandy with 1/4 cup raw sugar, 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind, and 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice - stir with a whisk until the sugar dissolves. For the lemon rind, use a large-holed grater to get thick pieces, rather than a regular zester.
Add 2 cups honeydew melon and 2 cups cantaloupe to the bowl; toss to coat, then let stand for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium heat and add 1/4 cup slivered almonds - toast the almonds for about a minute or two until they are fragrant, shaking the pan frequently.
Serve 1 cup of the melon with 1 tablespoon almonds and a thin (1/8-inch thick) slice of lemon as garnish. Each serving is 220 calories.
honeydew melon $3.79
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html