I'm pulling out my grill pan again tonight, but of course you can make this yummy side dish on an outdoor grill, as well. The plantains make a great compliment to a meal of rice and beans!
You'll need very soft ripe black plantains for this recipe, so be aware that you should probably buy them at the market a couple of weeks - yes weeks! - in advance. Supermarkets tend to sell plantains green, and they ripen much slower than bananas.
Once fully ripe, slice 3 plantains in half lengthwise, then cut each of those halves again, crosswise, so you have 12 pieces total.
In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter (such as Earth Balance) with 1 teaspoon organic brown sugar and 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper; brush evenly over the cut sides of each plantain piece.
Grill the plantains, cut-sides up, on a grill pan or grill coated with cooking spray over medium heat for 7 minutes, then turn over and grill for 3 minutes more.
2 plantain sections plus 1 lime wedge makes a side serving of 180 calories. Eat these while they're still warm! The cooked plantain slides right off of the skin.
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html