Raw cabbage can leave my taste buds disappointed, but once it's cooked and softened - yum. Try this side dish alongside any winter night meal.
Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 12 cups coarsely chopped Savoy cabbage and 1/2 cup water. (Savoy is the green cabbage with crinkly leaves; you can use napa cabbage if you can't find Savoy). Cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, than stir in 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper.
While the cabbage cooks, place 1 teaspoon cumin seeds in a small skillet and cook over medium heat for 1 minute - shake the pan frequently so the seeds don't burn.
Add the toasted cumin seeds to the cabbage, along with 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar (you can use cider vinegar if you don't have sherry vinegar, in a pinch). Cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. I cooked mine about 3 minutes longer than suggested,to ensure it was tender enough for my taste.
1 cup makes a side serving of 60 calories.
Savoy cabbage $2.66
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html