This quick and easy side dish gets a nice twist from the orange marmalade.
In a saucepan, combine 1 and 1/2 cups thinly sliced onion, 1 cup vegetable broth, 3 tablespoons soy sauce (I recommend a low-sodium variety), 1 pound baby carrots, and 1 minced garlic clove. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
Cover and continue to simmer for 10 minutes, then uncover and stir in 2 tablespoons orange marmalade, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper. Continue to cook uncovered until the liquid is reduced to about 1/4 cup, stirring frequently. The original recipe said this would take about 30 minutes, though mine took closer to 40.
For the marmalade, just double-check the ingredient list for sugar. I prefer to avoid any risk of bone char filtration by using the grape-juice sweetened orange marmalade from St. Dalfour.
1/2 a cup makes a side serving of 70 calories.
baby carrots $1.99
orange marmalade $3.50
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html