Using barley instead of rice means you get a delicious risotto without the intensive labor of stirring!
Start by heating a tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 and 1/2 cups chopped leek and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally - the leeks should be tender and golden by the end. I did turn my heat down a notch to medium-low about midway through, to make sure that the leeks didn't brown instead, then back up a notch to medium towards the end of the 20 minutes.
Add 1 and 1/2 cups sliced cremini mushroom and cook for 5 minutes, still stirring occasionally. Next add 1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. black pepper; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Add 14-ounces of vegetable broth, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes, uncovering to stir occasionally.
Uncover and cook a final 5 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley.
As with all risottos, this is yummiest and creamiest when served immediately. 2/3 a cup is 210 calories. You can double this recipe easily, and make it either a side dish or the star of the meal, depending on how large you want portions to be.
cremini mushrooms $1.00
vegetable broth $2.69
flat-leaf parsley $1.69
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html