Offer these in place of nuts, as an appetizer for party guests during the holidays.
In a saucepan, combine 2 cups raw sugar with 2 cups water. Heat over low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Bring the mixture to a simmer (I assumed this meant raising the heat to about medium/medium-high), but be careful not to let it boil or the cranberries will pop when you add them!
Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups fresh cranberries. Pour the whole mixture into a bowl, cover, and chill for at least 8 hours and up to overnight.
Drain the cranberries. (Note: if you like, you can reserve the cooking liquid to use as a cocktail mixer!) Place 3/4 cup sugar in a shallow bowl. Add the cranberries, and roll them until coated in the sugar. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
(Note: if you prefer, pulse the 3/4 cup sugar in a food processor a time or two so that it's super fine and adheres to the cranberries even better. I skipped this step because my day was hectic, though).
Store these in an airtight container for up to a week. They make a beautiful present, in pretty gift tins lined with parchment paper! I still can't quite get over the way each one gives a "pop" in your mouth. 1/3 cup of cranberries is 120 calories.
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html