This yummy dish combines the classic components of a Waldorf salad - tart apples, walnuts, raisins - in coleslaw form. A few simple tweaks make it vegan.
In a large bowl, combine 3 cups shredded cabbage, 3 cups diced Granny Smith apple, 6 tablespoons raisins, and 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts.
In a separate bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons plain soy yogurt (such as Whole Soy), 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (I like the light canola mayo from Spectrum), 1 tablespoon agave nectar (in place of honey), 1 teaspoon prepared (i.e. bottled) horseradish, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper.
Drizzle the dressing over the cabbage mixture, and toss well to coat. Cover and chill - the original recipe suggested for 2 hours, although mine was just fine after 3.
1/2 a cup of coleslaw is 70 calories. This recipe makes enough for 10 servings.
Granny Smith apple $2.60
plain soy yogurt $1.79
prepared horseradish $1.69
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html