The dried cranberries, apples, and pecans update coleslaw for fall and winter weather!
Place 2 and 1/2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage and 1/4 cup dried cranberries in a large bowl - I highly recommend buying the cabbage pre-sliced, as from Dole, to save a lot of time and effort! Set aside.
In a separate small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons rice vinegar, 3 tablespoons raw sugar, 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper. Drizzle over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat.
Cover and chill for 2 hours to let the vinaigrette soak into the cabbage, and plump up the cranberries. Just before serving, add 1 cup thinly sliced Granny Smith apple and 2 tablespoons chopped pecans - toast the pecans first, if you like. Be sure not to add the apples any sooner or they will discolor.
1 cup of slaw is 140 calories - this recipe doubles easily if you want to feed a crowd.
sliced red cabbage $1.99
Granny Smith apple $1.41
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html