You'll need two large fennel bulbs for this recipe. When you cut them into 8 wedges each, try to leave enough of the root portion intact (you only need to cut off a thin slice from the bottom of the bulb) so that the wedges hold together. But if they fall apart, don't worry about it too much. It's more about aesthetics than anything else!
Bring 1 quart of water (4 cups) to a boil; add the fennel wedges and cook for 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
Heat 1 and 1/2 teaspoons olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fennel wedges and 1 teaspoon raw sugar; saute for 3 minutes.
Add 1/2 cup vegetable broth, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons grated orange rind, 3 tablespoons fresh-squeezed orange juice, 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar, 1/4 tsp. salt and a pinch of black pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes - the liquid should be almost all evaporated.
Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of chopped fennel fronds, then divide the mixture evenly among each of 3 salad plates (about 1 cup per serving). Each serving is 90 calories. This recipe also doubles easily if you want to serve a larger crowd.
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html