The thing about desserts this time of year... you'd really be hard-pressed to do better than Mother Nature. Strawberries, blueberries, peaches, apricots, nectarines... all of them are shining right now ,and it takes very little to make them into a sweet dessert. All of which means, you have easy and healthy vegan desserts right at your fingertips.
For this one - a Tuscan-style dessert - peel and thickly slice 2 cups of ripe peaches (about 3 peaches). Combine in a bowl with 3/4 cup fruity Italian red wine and 1 and 1/2 teaspoons raw sugar, stirring gently.
Either an unfiltered and/or organic Dolcetto or Valpolicella would work great for the wine in this recipe. I chose an organic variety of the former, filled with the flavors of cherry.
Cover the mixture and chill for 2 hours, stirring occasionally - I actually let mine chill for 3 hours, but the peaches held up fine for the extra hour.
Spoon 1/3 cup of peaches into each of 6 dessert bowls. Pretty ideas for garnishes include mint leaves or - for a little more complexity - vegan sour cream mixed with a dollop of vanilla extract.
Each serving (without those garnishes) is 50 calories.
Dolcetto wine $17.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html