Make this simple side dish to load up on Vitamins K and C, beta carotene and the antioxidant lutein.
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add 1 pound chopped kale; cover and cook for 2 minutes - the kale will be wilted and bright green. Drain in a colander, and press with paper towels until barely moist.
For convenience, the original recipe suggested buying a "1-pound bag of kale". I've never seen anything of the like in my supermarket, so I simply bought just over a pound of kale (to account for the weight of the stems) and chopped it at home, but if your supermarket has pre-packaged kale, by all means use that!
Heat a medium saucepan over low heat; add 2 teaspoons olive oil and 3 minced garlic cloves and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the kale, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. black pepper, and 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper; increase the heat to medium-high and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
2/3 a cup is 60 calories.
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html