I was delighted to finally find a 100% duram wheat brand of orecchiette pasta (also known as "little ears" pasta, which is exactly what they look like!) thanks to Whole Foods' new in-house line of pastas. Since this is a pasta dish that benefits from chilling, leftovers are ready-made for lunches the next day.
Cook 2 cups of orecchiette according to package directions. Drain and place in a large bowl.
Combine the pasta with 3 cups chopped plum tomato, 1 and 1/4 cups diced vegan mozzarella (try either the one from Galaxy Foods or the one from Vegan Gourmet; I chose the former), 1 cup loosely packed, chopped basil, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper and 2 minced garlic cloves. Toss gently to combine.
Cover and chill for at least 1 hour before serving. 1 and 1/2 cups of pasta is 380 calories.
plum tomato $2.01
vegan mozzarella $3.39
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html