This side dish hails from Morocco - as is typical of many Moroccan salads, you can make it up to a day ahead and chill, to let the flavors blend. Bring it back to room temperature before serving.
Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon paprika, and cook for 30 seconds. Add 1/2 cup diced sweet onion and saute 5 minutes. Stir in 3 and 1/2 cups (1/8-inch thick) diagonally sliced carrot, 1/4 cup water and 3 minced garlic cloves; cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Add 1 tablespoon capers, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar and 1/4 tsp. salt. Cook, uncovered, for 8 minutes. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon chopped parsley.
3/4 cup is 90 calories - you'll have 4 side servings, but this easily doubles if you want to feed a larger crowd!
sweet onion $0.92
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html