These sandwiches make a perfect easy lunch or supper.
To make two sandwiches, lay two slices of sourdough bread (such as the Rocky Mountain Sourdough from Rudi's Organic Bakery) on a work surface. Top each with one slice of vegan cheese - the original recipe called for provolone, but I used the vegan mozzarella slices from Galaxy Foods. Spread 1 and 1/2 teaspoons olive spread over each cheese slice - I used the olive tapenade from Whole Foods' 365 brand - and made sure there were no anchovies in the ingredient list!
On top of that, layer 4 basil leaves and 2 (1/4-inch thick) slices of tomato on each sandwich. Top that with a second slice of 'cheese' and a second piece of sourdough bread - so you now have 2 sandwiches.
Lightly coat both sides of the bread with cooking spray, and cook in a large skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side.
Each sandwich is 360 calories - absolutely delish.
vegan cheese slices $3.39
sourdough bread $3.99
olive spread $3.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html