The last time I made a curried couscous was back in February of this year; this one features quite different flavors and ingredients, however, even though they are similar at the base.
In a bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup vegetable broth, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. grated and peeled fresh ginger and 1/4 tsp. black pepper. Set aside.
Bring 1 and 1/2 cups water to a boil, then gradually stir in 1 cup uncooked couscous, 1/4 cup dried currants and 1 and 1/2 teaspoons curry powder. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
Combine the couscous mixture in a large bowl with 1 cup thawed frozen green peas (wow, that sounds like an oxymoron, but you know what I mean...), 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper, 1/4 cup pine nuts (toast them first in a skillet for about one minute over medium heat), and 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions. Pour the broth mixture over the couscous mixture.
1 and 1/4 cups is 320 calories - this makes enough to serve 4.
frozen green peas $2.99
red bell pepper $1.02
pine nuts $7.99
green onions $0.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html