Make these simple homemade fries to accompany just about any meal!
Cut 2 small baking potatoes (about 1 pound total) into 6 lengthwise-slices each, and place the slices in a large bowl. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt.
Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, but leave the oven on!
Place 12 sage leaves into the bowl with your olive oil/salt mixture, and press to coat each side of the leaves. Using a spatula, carefully lift each potato slice (mine were a bit stuck to the baking sheet, so I almost recommend cooking spray!), and place 1 sage leaf underneath, in the center. Replace the potato slice on top of the sage leaf, and repeat with the remaining sage and potato slices.
Return to the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Using a spatula, carefully turn each potato slice over, so now the sage leaves are facing up. Bake a final 10 minutes. This move seemed hit or miss - sometimes the sage leaves turned over perfectly attached to the potato slice, sometimes I had to adjust things a bit with my fingers.
These are best served immediately. 4 fries make a side serving of 210 calories.
baking potato $1.81
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html