Take advantage of fresh summer vegetables to make this sauce - bonus points if they're from your own garden! The sauce is delicious tossed over any pasta of your choice, or even to stuff a baked potato.
Peel enough tomatoes to yield 4 cups chopped (about 2 and 1/4 pounds), by marking an X on the bottom of each tomato with a knife, placing the tomatoes in a pot of boiling water for 1 minute, then plunging in ice water - the skins will slip right off! Coarsely chop to equal 4 cups, and place in a colander in the sink. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt and toss well; let drain for half an hour.
Melt a teaspoon and half of vegan butter (such as Earth Balance) in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 cup chopped onion and saute 4 minutes. Add 1/2 tsp. minced garlic and saute 30 seconds.
Add the drained tomatoes, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil, 1/4 tsp. chili powder, 1/8 tsp. black pepper, and just a dash of ground red pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir in 1/2 cup chopped zucchini, 6 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper, and 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper; continue simmering for 5 minutes.
1 cup of sauce of 80 calories.
red bell pepper $1.90
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html