Use fresh ripe mango in this recipe! You'll need about 2 medium-sized ones. It took me a while to get the hang of cutting a mango to reap the most fruit, but I think I finally have it down. Peel the mango, then cut along the two slightly-flattened sides with a knife - the seed doesn't extend out in this direction, so you'll get the bulk of the fruit here. Then cut the thin pieces remaining on the rounder edges away from the seed. Chop into cubes and freeze.
Place 2 cups cubed frozen mango in a blender with 1 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup chilled sparkling water, 1 teaspoon grated lime rind, 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice and 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper - that last is the key to this recipe, giving it a nice kick!
Blend until smooth. Pour 1 and 1/3 cups of the drink into each of 2 glasses; each beverages is 140 calories.
Note: I actually didn't have time to freeze the mango cubes, so simply added them fresh - the drink was still delicious!
sparkling water $1.75
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html