Last year I made a Strawberry Agua Fresca - but agua fresca can be any simple blend of water, fruit, and sugar. This year, pride of place goes to watermelon in this refreshing beverage.
Finely chop 1 cup of cubed, seeded watermelon, and set it aside.
Place another cup of cubed, seeded watermelon in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Strain through a sieve over a bowl or pitcher, and discard any solids.
Stir 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon raw sugar and 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lime juice into the bowl, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the chopped watermelon that you set aside earlier, and stir to combine.
Cover and chill for at least 1 hour, although you can make it even further ahead of time and keep chilled until ready to serve. This recipe makes enough for 3 servings (1 and 1/4 cups and 80 calories each) of this delicious drink - increase quantities as needed!
Note: I used filtered water from the fridge instead of regular cold tap water so that the drink would be at its freshest and crispest.
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html