If you have guests coming over last-minute, whip up this simple dip - it comes together in minutes.
Rinse and drain one (15-ounce) can of cannellini beans. Combine in a food processor with 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lime juice, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons chopped canned jalapeno peppers (I bought Whole Foods' 365 brand, which does not include sugar in the ingredient list), 3/4 tsp. soy sauce (preferably a low-sodium variety), 1/2 tsp. olive oil, 1/8 tsp. chili powder, and one minced garlic clove. Puree until smooth.
Spoon into a bowl and sprinkle the top with 2 tablespoons chopped and seeded plum tomato and 2 tablespoons minced green onions. This is delicious with baked tortilla chips!
A 1/4 cup of dip is 100 calories. If you like, you can puree the ingredients together and store in the fridge until ready to serve; sprinkle with the tomato and the green onions just before serving.
canned jalapeno pepper $0.99
cannellini beans $0.89
plum tomato $0.46
green onions $0.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html