Try this alternative to coleslaw next time you go on a summer picnic! You can use a mandolin to julienne the jicama and carrot, but I actually had a hard time using mine. Instead, I got into one of my meditative chopping moods and devoted some time to slicing both very thinly into matchsticks. The alternative is to coarsely shred the veggies - or even buy pre-cut matchstick carrots!
In a bowl, combine 4 cups julienne-cut and peeled jicama, 2 cups julienne-cut (and, one assumes, peeled) carrot, 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion, 1/4 cup orange juice, 1 teaspoon grated lime rind, 3 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons raw sugar, and 1/4 tsp. salt.
Let marinate for at least 15 minutes. You can actually make the recipe this far up to a day ahead and store in the fridge.
Just before serving, stir in 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro.
1 cup of slaw is 70 calories. Garnish with extra cilantro sprigs if you like!
orange juice $1.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html