Take advantage of fresh asparagus for this soup. Potatoes and soy milk both make it thick and creamy.
Combine 1 cup plus 6 tablespoons vegetable broth in a saucepan with 1 and 1/4 cups cubed and peeled red potato and 6 tablespoons chopped onion. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 12 minutes.
Add 1 and 1/2 cups (1-inch) slices of asparagus and cook for 3 minutes.
Let the soup cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to the saucepan.
Add 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk (such as Silk), 1/4 cup vanilla soy yogurt (either Silk or Whole Soy), 1/2 tsp. lemon juice, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. black pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium heat (but don't let it boil!), stirring occasionally.
Once warmed all the way, ladle 1 cup of soup into each of 3 bowls. Asparagus tips make a pretty garnish! Each bowlful is 120 calories. Make it a dinner alongside vegan grilled cheese sandwiches.
vegetable broth $2.69
red potatoes $0.69
vanilla soy milk $1.69
vanilla soy yogurt $1.09
lemon juice $2.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html