This easy appetizer is sure to be a hit at your next cocktail party or family gathering! Although I used firm tofu, I might even recommend moving up to extra-firm tofu in retrospect, so the cubes hold together as you saute them.
Slice 1 package of lite firm (or extra-firm) tofu into 1/2-inch cubes. Place on several layers of paper towels, cover with additional paper towels, and let stand for 5 minutes.
Heat 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vegetable or canola oil along with 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu cubes and saute for 7 minutes.
Transfer the tofu to a bowl and drizzle with 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce and 1 tablespoon rice vinegar. Toss gently to coat, then cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
Serve the bites cold or at room temperature, with toothpicks on the side. About 1/3 cup of tofu bites makes an appetizer nosh of 60 calories.
lite firm tofu $2.00
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html