Molasses adds a rich taste and texture to this variation on banana bread. It's the perfect way to use up those ripe bananas in your kitchen!
To start, lightly spoon 1 cup all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour into measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine the flours in a large bowl with 2/3 cup regular oats, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp. salt; set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 2/3 cup raw sugar, 1/4 cup vegan butter (such as Earth Balance), and 1/3 cup dark molasses; beat for about 1 minute, until well blended. Add the equivalent of 2 eggs using egg replacer (such as Ener-G), beating until combined. Add 1 cup mashed ripe banana, 1/3 cup plain soy yogurt (such as Wildwood), and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat to combine.
Add the flour mixture, and beat just until moist. Spoon the batter into an 8x4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray, then bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 5 minutes - a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean by the end.
Cool the bread for 10 minutes in the pan on a wire rack, then remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack. You'll have 14 slices of 180 calories each.
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html