I always want to like coleslaw, but a lot of times the dish leaves me flat, I think because cabbage is the one vegetable that I can't really get excited about. So when I saw this slaw made with parsnip instead, I was eager to try it - and not disappointed!
Peel and shred 3 and 1/2 cups of parsnip, using the large holes of a box grater as I did or -if you're lucky enough to have one! - the shredder attachment on a food processor. Choosing fat parsnips will make your life much easier.
Combine the parsnip in a large bowl with 1 cup seeded red grapes (cut in half), 1/4 cup light vegan mayonnaise (I like the light canola mayo from Spectrum foods), 1/4 cup plain soy yogurt (such as Whole Soy), 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 teaspoons raw sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper. Toss everything to combine, and serve!
2/3 a cup is 120 calories - this makes the perfect accompaniment to a sandwich for lunch, to round out the meal.
seedless red grapes $5.55
vegan mayonnaise $3.99
plain soy yogurt $1.59
flat-leaf parsley $1.69
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html