Happy un-Turkey day to all you vegans! Here's yet another classic side dish, made vegan with just one switch or two. If you don't feel like cooking for the main event, try one of the many vegan entree options out there - from Field Roast, Tufurkey, or the latest arrival on market shelves, Gardein....
For this side dish, cut the green stems off 8 green onions; discard, or save for another use. Cut the white portion of the onions into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside.
Melt 1 tablespoon vegan butter (such as Earth Balance) in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion pieces and 1/4 tsp. black pepper, then cover and cook for 3 minutes.
Add 2 cups peas and 1/4 cup water; cover and cook an additional 5 minutes - you can use either fresh or frozen peas, but if you use frozen, make sure to thaw them in advance.
Uncover and cook until all the liquid is absorbed - somewhere between 2 and 5 minutes; mine took closer to 5. Remove from heat, and stir in 1 teaspoon chopped marjoram (use 1/4 tsp. dried marjoram if you prefer), and 1/8 tsp. salt. 1/2 cup is 100 calories.
Have a great cruelty-free Thanksgiving!
green onions $1.98
frozen green peas $1.29
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html