Using instant rice makes this pilaf a snap for a weeknight meal - or to prepare quickly among other recipes in a busy holiday kitchen!
Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 and 1/2 cups chopped parsnip and 1/2 cup (1/4-inch thick) slices of celery; cook for 4 minutes.
Stir in 1 and 1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice (such as Minute brand), 1/3 cup water, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. dried thyme, 1/8 tsp. black pepper, and 14 ounces of vegetable broth; bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes (the liquid should be absorbed).
Stir in 3 tablespoons sliced almonds and serve - 2/3 cup makes a side dish of 190 calories, but double up the portions if you want to make this the centerpiece of a meal.
instant brown rice $2.59
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html