Here's a classic Thanksgiving side dish with a vegan tweak or two.
Melt 1 tablespoon plus 3/4 tsp. vegan butter (such as Earth Balance) in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup sliced shallots and saute for 4 minutes. Stir in 2 and 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and cook for a final 1 and 1/2 minutes - I nearly forgot this step, but remembered at the last second!
Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon chopped thyme, 1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. black pepper. Set aside.
Meanwhile, cook 1 pound of trimmed green beans (about 5 cups) in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain, then transfer to a large bowl. Add the shallot mixture and toss well to coat. The quantities here make enough for 5, 1 cup servings, but the recipe doubles easily for a holiday crowd. Each serving is 90 calories.
green beans $7.98
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html