The earthy smell of this soup is incredibly welcome on a drizzly cold night!
Heat a teaspoon and a half of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 and 1/2 cups chopped onion, 1 cup thinly sliced carrot and 1 (8-ounce) package or pre-sliced mushrooms; saute 7 minutes.
Stir in 1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley, and saute for 2 minutes - toasting the barley like this before adding any liquid results in a wonderfully nutty flavor.
Stir in 4 and 3/4 cups vegetable broth, 1/3 cup finely chopped celery, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Stir in 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme and cook an additional 5 minutes (use 1/4 tsp. dried thyme if you prefer). Ladle 1 and 1/2 cups of soup into each of 4 bowls for a filling, entree-sized portion - delicious with some crusty bread to round out the meal! Each bowl of soup is 220 calories.
presliced mushrooms $2.49
vegetable broth $6.38
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html