If you eat seasonally, then you know potatoes can get a little boring as the fall and winter stretch on. Mashing parsnips in with the potatoes is a refreshing alternative!
Chop 2 cups of peeled parsnip and cube 2 cups of peeled baking potato; place the vegetables in a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. You want the vegetables to be very tender. Counter-intuitively, it's the parsnip that's the tougher of these two veggies, so cut the parsnip pieces smaller than the potato pieces so that they cook evenly.
Drain, then return the vegetables to the pan. Add 1/2 cup vegan cream (either Silk or Wildwood plain soy creamer), 2 teaspoons vegan butter (such as Earth Balance), 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper; mash with a potato masher to the consistency you like - I like mashed potatoes really creamy, just like my dad used to make them!
1 and 1/4 cups is a side serving of 170 calories.
baking potato $1.10
plain soy creamer $1.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html