This might be one of the yummiest dips I've ever had!
Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat (mine was maybe a notch closer to medium-high). Add 1/2 cup finely chopped onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, and 1 seeded and finely chopped jalapeno pepper; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Add 1 (14-ounce) can of diced tomatoes; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Let cool completely before stirring in 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I like the certified vegan Hot Stuff from the Wizard company), and 1 (16-ounce) carton of vegan sour cream - my new favorite is from Follow Your Heat, and is certified vegan.
Cover and chill until serving - you can actually make this dip up to 2 days ahead if you're planning it for a busy party or the holidays. Just before serving, sprinkle with an additional tablespoon of chopped cilantro.
1/4 cup is 50 calories. It's delicious with baked tortilla chips!
canned diced tomatoes $2.19
vegan sour cream $4.19
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html