Here's a yummy way to prepare these ubiquitous winter vegetables.
Cut 3 cups of peeled parsnip into julienne-cut strips - aim for about 2 inches long, although I confess most of mine were probably closer to 1 inch. Set aside.
Melt a tablespoon of vegan butter (such as Earth Balance) in large skillet over medium heat. Add the parsnips, along with 1/4 cup organic brown sugar, 2 tablespoons tomato juice, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. black pepper; stir well to blend.
Cover and cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. 1/2 a cup is a yummy side serving of 160 calories. For the tomato juice, I like the organic tomato from R.W. Knudsen: www.rwknudsenfamily.com
tomato juice $2.50
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html