I was so proud of the way my little falafel patties came out!
To make them, combine 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cumin, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper, 2 minced garlic cloves, the equivalent of 1 egg using egg replacer (such as Ener-G) and one drained (15-ounce) can of chickpeas, all in a food processor. Process until smooth. Divide the mixture into 16 small balls, and then shape the balls into 1/4-inch thick patties - the patties will be quite small, but this ensures that they fit into the pita!
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Set aside.
Meanwhile, prepare the sauce: whisk together 1/2 cup plain soy yogurt (such as Whole Soy), 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons tahini, and 1 minced garlic clove.
Cut 4 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas in half and spread 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of sauce in each half. Fill each pita half with 1 leaf of curly leaf lettuce, 2 (1/4-inch thick) tomato slices, and 2 falafel patties. Two stuffed pita halves make a filling entree of 410 calories.
dry breadcrumbs $2.99
canned chickpeas $1.79
plain soy yogurt $1.39
lemon juice $2.99
whole wheat pitas $1.99
curly leaf lettuce $2.49
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html