The fleeting rhubarb season is passing us by, so take advantage with this super-easy dessert. You can make it ahead of time and serve it either chilled or at room temperature. It's even yummier with vegan whipped cream dolloped on top, such as Soya Too.
Combine 2 cups (1-inch long) sliced rhubarb, 1/2 cup raw sugar, 1 teaspoon grated orange rind, 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice, and one cinnamon stick in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
Stir in 1 cup cubed and peeled Gala apple; cook 2 minutes.
Stir in 1 cup cubed and peeled Bartlett pear; cook 1 minute.
Remove from heat and let cool completely before discarding the cinnamon stick. Cover and store in the fridge until serving time.
1/2 a cup is 110 calories - you'll have about 6 servings.
Gala apple $1.10
Bartlett pear $1.54
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html