Make this easy side dish and pair with grilled tofu or tempeh to round out the meal. Pistachio oil can be hard to find - I had to buy mine from the Indian grocer on 1st Ave near my apartment - but do make an effort to find it since it lends a distinctive taste to the rice.
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan; add 1 cup uncooked basmati rice and 1/4 tsp. salt. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 18 minutes.
Fluff with a fork, then stir in 2 tablespoons currants (substitute golden raisins, if you prefer), 1 and 1/2 tablespoons chopped pistachios, 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, 2 tablespoons pistachio oil, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
1/2 a cup is 190 calories. Garnish with more fresh parsley sprigs if you like.
basmati rice $1.73
pistachio oil $12.25
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html